This recipe is really called Gramigna alla salsiccia, and it is a typical pasta dish from Emilia Romagna. It is such an easy dish to throw together and it’s what I would call comfort food. It’s a warm savory creamy dish that leaves you wanting seconds. Gramigna is a more difficult pasta shape to find and even in Italy you can’t always find it in every grocery store. For example, in Poggibonsi, a Tuscan town, they don’t sell it; probably because it’s not Tuscan!
So I’m calling it “Creamy Pasta with Sausage” so that it’ll be more accessible to everyone. You can substitute with any pasta shape but I would recommend cavatappi or cappelletti. I made this for my family over the Thanksgiving holiday and it was a hit!
- 1lb cavatappi pasta
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- parmesan cheese
- In a large pot, bring water to boil for the pasta. Cook pasta according to package instructions, draining the pasta 2 minutes earlier.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a large sauce pan on medium heat. Crumble the sausage into the pan, (don't add the casing) and cook until browned. Add 4 Tbsp of tomato paste and mix together. Then add 1 3/4 cup heavy cream and stir together, add a dash of salt and pepper, then remove from heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain it, and add the pasta to the large sauce pan. Put pan with the sauce and pasta back on medium heat and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until well mixed. Top with parmesan cheese and pepper to taste.
- Sausage: Look for plain sausage without any additives such as spices.
- Remember to add salt to the pasta water once boiling