Now that Baby T has 6 teeth it’s been fun introducing him to new foods that are different than his usual purees and baby food. The other day, around snack time, I decided that I’d make some whole wheat pancakes instead of reaching for the usual fruit puree.
After having a not so successful attempt at getting him to eat the pancakes, which he had more fun playing with and sharing with the dog, I decided to try making some muffins.
Muffins are often sugar-filled and I wanted something healthy for him so I took what I knew about some muffin recipes and created a mix on the spot. I threw them into a mini muffin tin and they turned out delicious and just the right size for Baby T.
The muffins definitely went over much better than the pancakes!
- 3/4 Cup Wheat Flour
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Heat oven to 350º F (177ºC)
- Line a mini muffin tin with liners or spray with olive oil or oil of choice.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the wheat flour and flour together. Add the baking power, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and stir until well mixed.
- Slice the ripe bananas.
- In a separate medium sized bowl add the banana and mash it. Add the apple sauce, vanilla, olive oil, and coconut oil and eggs. Stir together until well mixed.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the banana mixture. Stir until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins to the top.
- Bake in a preheated muffin for 8 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean after inserting it into the center of the muffin.